Idle Musings...

A collection of random thoughts on nothing in particular.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Now is the winter of our discontent

Well, winter has arrived with a vengeance. This morning, when the missus dropped me off at the train station, it was definitely time to don the jacket. It's been cooling down for a few weeks in Sydney maintaining a reasonably balmy 10-16C (50-60F for all you Yanks who seem destined to be stuck in the dark ages of imperial measurements forever) but overnight it dropped to a chilly 4C by about 6:00, which made the trip to work less pleasant than normal (<sarcasm> because going to work is always such a brilliant experience </sarcasm>). For those of you who regularly go to work in subzero temperatures that may sound perfectly normal, even nice, but Sydney-siders are used to a slightly warmer climate.

When the mercury drops my mind wanders off to fresh powder, back-breaking moguls and long, steep tree-lined runs, which just make me more depressed because since getting married, having kids and buying a house I haven't had the money to go skiing (or at least I can't justify spending it on skiing - things like food, mortgage repayments, clothes, daycare, doctors, etc. tend to take priority for some bizarre reason).
<sniff><sob>

My two forays into the Canadian snow-fields have given me a taste of the good-life, in terms of quality snow & quality mountains. Unfortunately, Australian skiing doesn't compare - we just don't have high enough hills. My favourite, out of the places in Alberta and BC that I skied, was Blackcomb, BC. Those were the days...when the only things you worried about were whether you were going to do a black or a double-back run down this time and the prospect of breaking something (such as your neck, or worse yet a ski!) on the way down. I was an above average skier when I could afford it (i.e. when my parents used to pay), shunning anything less than a black run and snickering (inwardly) at those who snow-ploughed over to the start of a designated trail (yes, I was a teenager and a bit full of myself but I was a pretty good skier). I tended to stick to the Horstman & Blackcomb glaciers and the Jersey Cream Bowl & the West Bowl on Whistler Mountain. I think my favourite at the time was the Saudan Couloir, although they've since changed the name, I think, to the Couloir Extreme (bit gay if you ask me).

Ah...to reminisce about coming back to a lodge worn out & sore after skiing hard all day. The stifling heat & humidity of the drying room compared to the crisp, pure mountain air outside. Goggles so fogged up in the drying room you can barely see where your boots are.
Snow/ice-encrusted beanies. Boot warmers & thick socks. Settling down near a log fire watching Warren Miller movies. Playing pool & cards till late at night and fantasizing about Mike Wiegele heli-skiing tours. Going to bed at a ridiculous hour and getting up with the sparrows so you can do it all over again.

It almost makes me feel young again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home